MúzeumDigitár

HomeMuseumCollectionObjectContact

Search

search

Museum of Music History

Museum of Music History

Táncsics Mihály utca 7.

1014 Budapest

Tel: (36-1) 214-6770 / 252

Museum's website

- Since its foundation in 1969, the Institute of Music of the Hungarian Academy of Arts and Sciences has been collecting objects related to the history of music. These include instruments, old recordings (for example piano rolls), photographs, and music-themed works of art, medals, and coins.
- The unique collection of the Museum of the History of Music contains thousands of objects and images from all regions of Hungary.
- The collection of musical instruments comprises 529 objects, among which are eighteenth-century string instruments by Leeb, Thir, and Stadlmann; nineteenth-century string instruments by Brandl, Mönig, and Ferenczy; guitars by Rudert and Stauffer; a harp by Holtzmann; pianos by Pachl, Beregszászy, Broadwood, and Erard, upright pianos by Pape and Lorencz, and a conductor’s upright piano by Ibach as well as table pianos and giraffe pianos. Along with these instruments the collection includes wind instruments: flutes by Schöllnast and Koch, an English horn by Erturi, Hungarian tárogató by Schunda and Stowasser, and a number of brass instruments.
- Among the highlights of our collection is a positive organ, which was made for a church near Eger in the 1770s. Our inventory also includes many folk instruments not only from Hungary, but also from neighboring countries and throughout the world.
- The Collection of Music-Historical Objects includes the memorabilia of famous composers and performers, among them Béla Bartók, Ernő Dohnányi, Ditta Pásztory Bartókné, and Aladár Rácz.
- The Collection of Fine Art and Folk Art includes paintings, etchings, statues, and 700 commemorative coins and medals from the legacies of Ervin Major, Miklós Aurer, and Miklós Borsós.
- The Collection of Photographs contains 6,375 music-related photos.
- Our museum also has a historical collection of booklets, postcards, documents, and letters from the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.
- We also have a collection of 2,250 piano rolls.
- The Museum of the History of Music moved to Buda Castle in 1984. The Erdődy Palace, its current location, was built in 1796 and rebuilt in 1912 in neo-Baroque style by its then owner, Baron Lajos Hatvany-Deutsch. After 1945 the Erdődy-Hatvany palace served as a school. In 1969 the building was donated by the city council to the Hungarian Academy of Arts and Sciences. The museum organizes guided tours, often followed by concerts in the exhibition hall or in the panoramic Bartók Room overlooking the Danube.

Open: from Tuesday to Sunday, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. Closed on Monday

Director: Anna Baranyi PhD, senior research fellow
mail:baranyi.anna@btk.mta.hu
tel: (36-1) 214-6770 / 252

József Brauer-Benke PhD, research fellow
mail:brauer-benke.jozsef@btk.mta.hu
tel: (36-1) 214-6770 / 253

Lászlo Gombos, research fellow
mail: gombos.laszlo@btk.mta.hu
tel: (36-1) 214-6770 / 323

Zsófia Borz, assistant research fellow
mail: borz@zti.hu
tel: (36-1) 214-6770 / 253

Péter Gerő, restorer
mail:gero.peter@btk.mta.hu
tel: (36-1) 214-6770 / 113

Ticket and guided tour information:
tel: (36-1) 214-6770/ 272

Collections:

"Zenetörténeti Tárgy Gyűjtemény"
"Hangszergyűjtemény"[268]Show objectsSearch inside
"Képző- és iparművészeti gyűjtemény"
"Fotótár"
"Adattár"
"Zongoratekercs gyűjtemény"

Objects: